This article courtesy of Donna Conley, KVSS Transportation Manager
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system…every two years
- Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly. Blades should be replaced every six months.
- Have the battery and charging system checked for optimum performance.
- Check the tire tread depth and the tire pressure. Consider special tires designed to grip slick roads. Check pressure weekly.
- Be diligent about changing the oil and filter ever 3,000 miles. Consider a “winter weight” oil. Check fuel, air and transmission filters also.
- Winter magnifies existing problems such as pints, hard starts, sluggish performance or rough idling. Get a tune-up.
- Have the brakes checked.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks.
- Check to see that exterior and interior lights work and that headlights are properly aimed.